The Ministry of Education’s Research and Information Centre, a Special Library, is opened to staff, students and members of the public. It houses a collection of mainly educational resource materials such as texts, periodicals, theses and newspaper clippings. It is also a repository of Government and Ministry of Education documents to which the public can gain access. These include:
- Policy, Project and Programme documents
- Corporate, Education and Implementation Plans
- Curricula, Laws, Regulations and Procedural documents
- Reports, Statistics, Directories and School Profiles
- Selected resource materials for schools
The collection should be able to address some of the research needs of students in tertiary educational institutions and educators practising in the field.
A summary of the collection is as follows:
Project Documents Primary Education Support Project Primary Education Assistance Project New Horizon Project Jamaica All Age School Project Reform of Secondary School Project Policy, Programmes & Procedural Documents Ministry of Education National Policy for HIV/AIDS Management in Schools Safe School Policy Language Policy Mathematics & Numeracy Policy Principal Performance Appraisal Policy Teacher Performance Appraisal Policy The National Assessment Programme Summer Literacy Programme Act and Regulations Education Act and Regulations Early Childhood Act Early Childhood Commission Act Independent Schools Regulations University Council of Jamaica Act HEART Trust/NTA Act Curricula Revised Primary Education Curriculum Grades 1-6 Grades 7-9 Curriculum Health and Family Life Education Curriculum Education Plans and Reports Five-Year Education Plan 1978-83 Five-Year Education Plan 1990-95 Ministry of Education Annual Reports 1948-1954, 1985 Initiatives of the Seventies
There are also documentations on other educational topics such as:
- The Values and Attitudes Manual
- Violence Initiatives of the Guidance and Counseling Unit
- Compulsory Education
- Shift System
- Standards for Primary Education
- Performance of Jamaican Students In C.X.C.
- Task Force Report on Education
There is a Reserved Collection of mainly educational texts, in the areas of:
Educational Psychology Educational Planning Educational Testing and Measurement Early Childhood Education Special Education
The Reserved Collection also includes numerous documents such as research reports, evaluation reports and other documents on a number of topics in the field of education in Jamaica, regionally and internationally. The General Collection includes texts on a wide cross-section of subjects.
The Periodical Collection includes mainly educational journals, some of the titles are listed below:
- Torch Journal – a publication of the MoE
- Calvin Theological Journal (1982-1992)
- American Journal of Sociology – (1978)
- British Journal of Educational Studies (1967-1977)
- Adult Educational Development (1988-1991)
- Social and Economic Studies
- British Journal of Sociology – (1984)
- The Parliamentarian (1979-1982)
- Educational and Psychological Measurement (1968-1978)
- Tropical Science (1975-1979)
- Educational Journal (1996-1998)
- American Educational Research Journal (1990-1998)
- Economic and Social Survey of Jamaica
We have also recently established a Spanish and French Collection to support the information needs of teachers of these languages. The documents in the library’s collection are available only for consultation in the library and for photocopying.
The Centre is opened between the hours of 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Mondays to Thursdays; and 9:30 am to 3:00 pm Fridays.
Other services offered by the Library include photocopying and Internet access at a cost. Inter-library loan and reference services are also available on request. If you would like to learn more about the collection and services of the Research and Information Centre, please contact:
Research and Information Centre
Ministry of Education
37 Arnold Road
Email: [email protected]